what is yuzu?

Yuzu is a fruit from the citrus family (Citrus junos).
The exterior of the tree has thorns of 2-5cm. A Yuzu fruit usually weighs about 120-130g.
It's skin is thick and coarse. Yuzu is well-known and much appreciated
in Japan for it's freshness and unique aroma with similar culinary
applications to that of a lemon.

Why Kochi has become the largest Yuzu production area

It is unknown when the cultivation of Yuzu in Kochi started but it has been long
established that Kochi's climate is ideal for cultivating Yuzu with its important
precipitation and sunlight. This is also proven by the presence of wild Yuzu trees
growing in the mountainous regions of Kochi. Since the beginning of the 1960s,
there has been an increasing national demand for Yuzu and many cultivation areas
have developed in the mountains of Kochi. The strong temperature variations in the
mountains also help to develop a powerful aroma of Yuzu fruit. For all these given
reasons, Kochi has become Japan's most renown and appreciated area for Yuzu

The reputation of Kochi, Japan for Yuzu

20% of Japan's total Yuzu production is sold as a whole fruit and the remaining 80% for it's juice and
skins. It is sold to manufacturers to produce vinegars and seasonings, especially ponzu vinegar,
various beverages and a multitude of other elaborated products. The Yuzu producers in Kochi always
strive to improve and modernize their equipments to increase the quality of their products whilst also
systematically controlling the hygiene conditions to satisfy all their customers and end users.

Application of Yuzu

The Yuzu fruit can be applied in many culinary preparations such as sauces, vinaigrettes, seasoning for salt and pepper, sushi vinegars and pastries. It can also be directly used on grilled fish, tofu, barbecued dishes and beverages. Yuzu's splendid fragrance is also widely used in cosmetics such as lotions, soaps and other essential aroma oils etc.